As a teacher in a low socio-economic district, I come across a great amount of diversity every day. The breakdown is around 40% Caucasian, 30% African American, 25% Arabic, and 5% other. I am a caucasian male, age 24. I find it exciting to become friends with those of other races because there is so much to learn about the different cultures. The same thing applies to the classroom. I learn so much about different lifestyles because of the diversity in the schools.
I realized that sometimes I actually favor those students who are not white, because they are a minority and often get stereotyped or get a bad reputation for no reason. In favoring them, I wonder if I am neglecting some of the white students. Most of the African American students in my classes fall behind because of no parent involvement so I try to help them as much as I can during classtime. I will have to see how many white and Arabic students are behind because of the same reason.
Monday, January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment