Thursday, March 12, 2009

Blogs for Students

Setting up a blog site for students to communicate is an excellent way to promote a healthy and productive classroom environment. So many times, as a student, I was unsure of our homework assignment or I had trouble with a specific homework question or problem. By creating a blog that the teacher can monitor, we are giving students the capabilities to contact any classmate outside of school. Not everyone in the class has each others' phone number, and blogging is a way to connect those who may not socialize during school hours. I would set up a classroom blog site for students to ask their classmates for help on assignments or questions about homework.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea sounds great! My only question would be the timing. If I had a problem with homework, I can blog the problem. But, it may not get answered for a couple days and I need the help now. The homework deadline may come before a person blogs with help. How would you solve this problem?
    I would suggest to the students that they check the class blog every night, if they have computer internet access at home. Maybe you can give students bonus points for checking the site every night. That way you would be sure to have students online to help other students with their homework questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this being the most helpful on long term discussion questions of on research projects. Although, this could work for nightly homework questions if that is the way you are going to set it up. For instance you may tell you students that you will go online certain days at certain times. That way you can guarantee that they will be able to ask questions and get them answered. Also if they leave a comment (question) and just missed you, you can verify that they were there by the post time and date.

    I think this could really work, although you would have to be very organized.

    ReplyDelete