Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Social Learning Theory

The reason I became an English teacher is so I could have in depth class discussions about the material we are reading. I like to hear everyone's point of view and make the students think when they hear a classmate's perspective or idea. Dr. Orey said it best when he stated Two people looking at something together never actually see the same thing in the same way" (2001). This approach corresponds perfectly with the social learning theory. I love having meaningful and productive class discussion to teach and understand the material. This makes time fly for
the students and also for me! The intriguing conversations make the class fun to be in.

2 comments:

  1. Mark,
    Which of the resources from chapter 7 do you plan on implementing in your classroom to help foster the social learning theory? Is there one you like better than the others, or one you have already tried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with the statement that Dr. Orey made about students never seeing the same thing in the same way. Even as a teacher working with my own colleagues I have seen differences in the way that we view problems and information. I really enjoy seeing the interaction of students when they are working to complete a task. The differences in viewpoints and experiences are what make the learning experience so meaningful.

    ReplyDelete