Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cognitive Learning

This week we are learning about the ideas behind cognitive learning. Dr. Orey highlights a few examples in his video lecture such as using more than one of the 5 senses to teach ideas to students. The authors of "Using Technology With Classroom Instruction That Works" (2007) say that questions and cues work by "triggering students' memories and helping them to access prior knowledge". This is very similar to the cognitive learning theory regarding episodic memory and instruction. This is when students can think back to a specific event that relates to the material being taught. This will better help them grasp the concept. So many times I find myself giving a cue or asking a question such as, "think of the time when you were most proud of something...". Then I would go into a dicsussion relating the material to the students' experiences. These researchers have all discovered similar ways to enhance the learning experience for our students.

2 comments:

  1. Mark,
    In the text they talked about using concept maps to help students organize information, how do you plan on using that information to help your students. Also what is your take on the different tools that were talked about for note taking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more senses that we use while teaching the stronger the connection will be that our students make to new material. I find that the things I remember most are the things that I have had the most interaction with. A lesson or activity that incorporates visual, audio and a hands-on component are more likely to be effective than just a straight lecture. I agree with you that triggering students' past experiences is essential to building on new content. I think that the virtual field trips discussed this week give students a very motivating experience as well as feeding into the five senses which are so tightly tied to memory and recall.

    ReplyDelete