Friday, February 19, 2010

GAME PLAN WEEK 6

I have learned so many ways to present information using technology rather than simply using paper and pencil. Before this, Power Point was my only idea. Now I was introduced to digital storytelling. These are fantastic alternatives and allow freedom of choice when it comes to students presenting their information and ideas. I still need to figure out exactly how to create a secure and monitored site for our classes to post and discuss ideas before I can present to my principal. I need to continue my research in order to establish a successful argument to unblock or create a website.
I still need to perfect my skills with the many online digital story telling tools. If I am not proficient then I will not be successful in teaching the tools to my students. Much of it may be self-directed learning along with trial and error, but I still need to be able to answer question so my students trust my confidence and abilities. To achieve this goal I will use various programs and websites to create my own digital stories. This will help familiarize myself with these new tools.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Matt

    As you so aptly put time is necessary for each of us just being introduced to all these fantastic new technologies. It is important that we ourselves become familiar with them and that we are able to promote the sites we have found as reputable.
    I found this site that is sorta nice and you can take a look at it and see if the resources would be helpful to you.
    I am very excited about this upcoming summer as I plan to do a lot of self training on the use of sites like animoto,etc.
    Good luck with your planning and the execution of your plans. I think it would be great to make our own digital stories and use that to present to our principals to engender their support
    http://www.edtechforteachers.com/Math.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Your district should have hosting capabilities. I would ask someone over technology in your DO if no one in your building knows. If not, then, you might want to consider posting your projects on VoiceThread. This would enable you to moderate comments. It is also free.

    I hope this works out for you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way you do about all of these new technologies we have been introduced to. I do feel slightly overwhelmed about the possibilities. It is easy to get held up with wanting to be totally familiar with a program before introducing it. I believe it is important for a teacher to be familiar and comfortable with a technology before introducing it to your classroom however, I also feel some things are best learned with trial and error. I just completed a voicethread with a class. Some of the computers didn't record the volume and some did. Certain students' comments didn't show up and others did. Some students couldn't find the thread by browsing and others could. These are all things the students and I worked through together. We learned and experimented together. It was a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete